Saturday, January 22, 2011

Bringing up Boys

I just started reading Dr. Dobson's book, "Bringing up Boys". So far, I really like it. I am blessed with two very energetic and happy little boys (Timmy 2 and Daniel almost 4). Every day, I try to come up with a way that I can freeze them so they won't grow up...seriously...I've thought of having them sleep in the freezer :) That's why its hard for me to read the book, because it discusses when boys become older and the problems they'll face...and I don't want to think of my baby boys all grown up! But of course I know its reality, so I want to use the time I have with them now to really prepare them for the future. I never wish this time to go by quickly because I know that these are the days I'll treasure forever, the days before they have their own life and so many other outside influences. I look at their first five years of life as real discipleship since I am basically with them all the time and these are the years they are most impressionable. That's why I feel that it is so important that we as mothers fill ourselves with God's Word and His presence during these years (and of course later too)- because our children will be filled from what we give them and if we are empty, how can we fill them?


After reading the first few chapters of Dobson's book, I realized its good to have a goal when raising kids. Its good to remember that one day, my boys will be grown adults living in this world...they may be husbands, fathers, church leaders, teachers, etc, etc, so we have to prepare them for that day.



My goal is to raise honest, caring young men who will be respectful of women, loyal and faithful in their relationships, keepers of commitments, strong and decisive leaders, good workers, and secure in their masculinity. Most importantly, I hope for them to have a lifelong passion and love for Jesus that drives their every thought and action!

God, please help me, I can do nothing at all without You.

No comments:

Post a Comment