Friday, February 25, 2011

My Lenten Goal

We just got back from our road trip to Toronto and despite the fatigue that comes from traveling with two young children, I feel spiritually refreshed! I'm almost ready for this season of Lent that is coming up. I say "almost" ready, because I literally feel like I was just getting used to being able to eat-and cook- meat and dairy... :)

Even before my trip, this whole urge to "de-clutter" was building up inside of me. Maybe its a little bit because I'm genetically OCD (haha) or maybe it was really a message that God was trying to give me. Not so coincidentally, two of the women that I got to spend lots of time with on this trip were also feeling the same urge. One of the very practical de-cluttering tips I got is right here!

I'm planning to use the 55 days of Lent to physically clean out my home, and during this process, I am going to pray that God could spiritually "de-clutter" my mind and my spirit. As I clean up each room, and see which stuff needs to be thrown out, given away, or cleaned up, I will also pray that God reveals the things inside of me and the "stuff" in my life that needs to be cleaned up.


It's my prayer that during this process, my mind and heart will be cleared from clutter so that I can more diligently listen for God's voice. Exodus 15:26 (my quiet time the day before I left for vacation) says, "If you diligently heed the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in His sight, give ear to His commandments and keep all His statutes, I will put none of the diseases on you which I have brought on the Egyptians. For I am the Lord who heals you." The part about diligently heeding His voice really spoke to me. Though I take "quiet time" every day, I also feel like my mind and heart are elsewhere, too cluttered to hear His voice. I may read His word every day, but I can't say that I diligently listen for His voice. I believe that listening for His voice, hearing what He has to say, and obeying it, will be life changing for me...even in just the little things.

Pray for me! I'll keep you posted on this process :)

1 comment: